Blukerbeh (43)

Top posting users this week

Half-Life 2 RP server

Deja Vu...?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Deja Vu...?

Post by General Bravo on Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 pm

HL2RP is generally in a bad way. What reports I get of other HL2RP servers generally aren't anything good. As a whole, seriousRP is just overwhelmed by darkRP and other similar nonsense. Vanilla HL2RP has a 50/50 chance of turning people off because "what is this vanilla shit? Boring! Everything looks the same! I'm going back to LemonPunch!"

Like I said, I just want things to play out for a while longer and bring things to fitting conclusions, and then I'm washing my hands of HL2RP, at least for the time being. I started TEH with the intent that it be more than yet another HL2RP community in the chain. I plan on doing so, but the time comes when one must leave their origins behind.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
Overwatch Transhuman Arm:
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Nick Bradford-Unknown-Last seen in City 18
Enslaved Biotic:
Tuk'Zal-Unknown-Last seen in City 18

Founder of The Event Horizon
General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I never asked you to do anything. I'm saying that creating a Vanillia server, a long with anything else someone may want to create, could potentially be a good investment.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal on Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 pm

look, the reason why people are leaving is because everyone's developed chars died. it all started with the oldfags losing their chars, then they take it out on the newer playerbase and erase everything. my common argument is that holler, and several other staff member simply say "we lost our chars too, howcome you can't?" every time someone loses their char to a PK. people have too many shotcops and edgy as fuck strict as fuck uber as fuck extreme rules and people die too much. there was no more 'slums' passive like there was in late SOTA and early TC. it's all plaza RP and face it dude, NO ONE
ABSOLUTELY NO ONE
NO ONE
OK
NO ONE WANTS PLAZA RP NO BUENO

TL;DR the slums passive is gone, the most treasured RP of all in the city.
people got mad and left.

and edit**
the staff does have a completely valid point on the "we lost our chars too", but erasing everything in your wake causes people to get mad. they spent their time on that character's development and cherished it. you have more of a leeway because you're an admin; you have other things to do than just RP. you can moderate while you RP. regulars only have their chars to RP on.

Last edited by Cereal on Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : anus)
Cereal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:59 pm

The problem goes farther back. Your attitude is also apart of the problem. This entire game should be based around Plasa RP. Rebels attacked there, events took place there, CCA patrol there, citizens LIVE there.

This game isnt about the rebels and oldfags characters. Its about the players. The ones who START IN PLAZA. Shit man. Make it enjoyable for everyone and they will make it enjoyable for you in turn.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverdisc on Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:The problem goes farther back. Your attitude is also apart of the problem. This entire game should be based around Plasa RP. Rebels attacked there, events took place there, CCA patrol there, citizens LIVE there.

This game isnt about the rebels and oldfags characters. Its about the players. The ones who START IN PLAZA. Shit man. Make it enjoyable for everyone and they will make it enjoyable for you in turn.
That's the thing though. HL2RP does not necessarily need to be based around Plaza RP.

Let me explain. Plaza RP is fun, and it's interesting. It's what we all started doing when we started roleplay. However, most of us here have played thousands of hours of HL2RP, and at one point, plaza RP becomes boring and loses it's charm. So what do players do? They quit playing HL2RP. This is the main reason that HL2RP in general is becoming less and less popular: most people have seen it by now.

However, TC fixed that problem back in C18 and C45. The slums RP in C45 allowed us to "take RP to the next level". Suddenly, we weren't doing the same old plaza RP, but we were creating a huge, complicated, thrilling story, that featured characters that felt like actual people.

It's hard to explain if you weren't there, but the people who were will understand what I mean. Last year, around this time, RP at TC felt real. It didn't feel like playing some game; it felt like you were actually caring about these characters, like they were actual people, different from the users roleplaying them.

What was on my mind during this time? Final exams, driving lessons and fighting the Combine. Again, it wasn't like playing a game, it felt like it was real and actually mattered. This is what made TC so enjoyable.

Now, this "great RP" we had, referred to as "the golden age" by Holler and me, is gone. The main problem is that it's incompatible with plaza RP, and it's almost impossible for new players to come in such a tight group. TC's pop was pretty healthy, not because we were getting new players, but because all the players enjoyed it so much that they logged on every day, for hours and hours.

So, what happened then? TC moved back to plaza RP with the mapswitch. Suddenly, our amazing, tight group and thrilling story, couldn't be continued. Important characters died with an anticlimax, there was no way to continue many plotlines, and most people just stopped caring.

Sure, we might have had a huge influx of players when we switched, but did they actually stay? Nope. And the dedicated regulars lost the RP they enjoyed and moved on. I created another community that I enjoyed more than plaza RP, because I had already done that for so long.

--------------
Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to post this. A lot of people here don't care about plaza RP, but want this awesome RP we had. I've been thinking about how we could get it back, and I'm making progress.

Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:46 pm

All I have to say is the love and thrill you felt during TC was there all a long. I felt it in DA. The story and characters DeadCherry made were brilliant. Thats the very feel that made me create TC. TC didnt do anything different, you guys just had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunetly a super tight story clearly isnt holding up at the moment.

Was it the amazing story and feel you think was Unique to TC? Or was it simply that you guys found your sweet spot for RP and its now running out like the multiple communities before you?

Idk, I dont think TC was unique in that we contained some special RP. That is how it was always meant to be.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri May 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I mostly actually am agreeing with Cereal here. We don't HAVE rebels anymore to raid the plaza. They all died. Raiding the plaza, naturally. (RIP, Garry/Rose.) We don't HAVE events taking place there any more, and the CCA are almost all edgy shotcops.

The people who are new and starting-out are important, but we aren't GETTING those people. We "left" for the same reason Gremnkai did. In fact, shotcops werern't the cause of the problem, even though some edgy 05 was like "blam blam blam", and two of the most heavily-developed characters that still played on TEH were gone. (Actually, it was the plaza raid that kinda caused this to begin with. Thanks, Rose! (garry still loves you))

Edit: I am, however, planning to come on soon and experiment with some new char ideas. See how far they get.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

View user profile http://www.theterminalgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Fri May 02, 2014 3:15 pm

What I think is a huge deal is actually something Diablo mentioned back when he had wanted to do an RP reset back at TC, and that is that people get overly attached to their characters. Not that you shouldn't care about them, but generally, when people's primary characters die, they just leave rather than attempting anything new. I get that it can feel real, but it shouldn't feel SO real that you just can't go on if your favorite character dies.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri May 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Well, think about it. At first, Eli White (who then became Garry Cubbarnes) as a generic, boring lolwebul. There was nothing to him, really. He had a very basic personality, and he was pretty much just the "Hates combine, will help rebels" kind of character. It took me five full months to actually figure out and execute a good development path to take him on. It's a lot of work to create a meaningful character, especially when you are building from the ground up. Then you spend another 5 or so months following through with your character's personality, developing, meeting other characters... then some edgy 05 shotcop dashes that in the blink of an eye, just because he gets erections from promotions and amputations.

There goes your character, all the work you put into it, and everyone that character was friends with has to do depressionRP for a couple days then move on. Does it seem worth doing that over again, only to fall under the same circumstances?

Heil Shotcop!

Heil ze new age!

Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Oculatus on Fri May 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Zaughi wrote:Well, think about it. At first, Eli White (who then became Garry Cubbarnes) as a generic, boring lolwebul. There was nothing to him, really. He had a very basic personality, and he was pretty much just the "Hates combine, will help rebels" kind of character. It took me five full months to actually figure out and execute a good development path to take him on. It's a lot of work to create a meaningful character, especially when you are building from the ground up. Then you spend another 5 or so months following through with your character's personality, developing, meeting other characters... then some edgy 05 shotcop dashes that in the blink of an eye, just because he gets erections from promotions and amputations.

There goes your character, all the work you put into it, and everyone that character was friends with has to do depressionRP for a couple days then move on. Does it seem worth doing that over again, only to fall under the same circumstances?

Heil Shotcop!

Heil ze new age!

Ok now that RP event was wrong in many ways but you really don't need to flame my 05 for it. I've had my quota completed for awhile now and still haven't been promoted so it really doesn't affect me anymore weather I get promoted or not I just want to develop him. As for amputations now that is a debatable topic.
Oculatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri May 02, 2014 4:29 pm

It wasn't entirely directed at your 05, it was directed to all the units in general who act completely emotionless both on and off duty. It makes them drab and boring characters most of the time. On the topic of your 05,  he would probably feel SERIOUS remorse, as the two people he heartlessly murdered were his friends, and one of them saved his life. He would most likely be dead if not for Garry.

I don't see why the 05 would be able to simply move on after what he'd done. Any sane, normal human being would hate themselves for doing such a thing until their death or until they had it brainwashed out of them.

But yeah, on-topic, there are too many emotionless characters in general. I find myself bored of HL2RP when there are almost no interesting or diverse characters to interact with. TEH feels like the generic "Plaza masturbators, paramilitary COTA CCA units, and lolwebuls" RP right now. We need interesting characters to break the ice, but making an interesting and fresh character is a lot of work, so instead 95% of people go with a generic Male_07 character who hates the Combine because they killed his family.

We did have those kinds of characters, once, though. What might have happened to them? Amputated by some edgy low-ranking CCA char pretty much every time. Let's make a list, shall we?

Stinger (o7 we love you): Killed by Possum's 02 before he was 02
Erica Wittmann: Killed by some Enlisted unit
Garry Cubbarnes/Rose Darion: Killed by Oculatus' 05, who shouldn't even be amping at his rank
95702: To-be-killed by Possum's 02 (even though it's pretty much meta)
Zealot: Don't actually remember, think an Enlisted got him, though
Effy Anderson: Killed by Possum's 02 before he was 02
Weasel: Mowed down by Atlas' 04
Lucy Dellgott: Killed by Possum's 02
Sven Smirnoff: Gunned down by some 04
Forgot-His-Name Rebel Guy: Lit up by some 03

Last edited by Zaughi on Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Oculatus on Fri May 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Zaughi wrote:It wasn't entirely directed at your 05, it was directed to all the units in general who act completely emotionless both on and off duty. It makes them drab and boring characters most of the time. On the topic of your 05,  he would probably feel SERIOUS remorse, as the two people he heartlessly murdered were his friends, and one of them saved his life. He would most likely be dead if not for Garry.

I don't see why the 05 would be able to simply move on after what he'd done. Any sane, normal human being would hate themselves for doing such a thing until their death or until they had it brainwashed out of them.

But yeah, on-topic, there are too many emotionless characters in general. I find myself bored of HL2RP when there are almost no interesting or diverse characters to interact with. TEH feels like the generic "Plaza masturbators, paramilitary COTA CCA units, and lolwebuls" RP right now. We need interesting characters to break the ice, but making an interesting and fresh character is a lot of work, so instead 95% of people go with a generic Male_07 character who hates the Combine because they killed his family.

We did have those kinds of characters, once, though. What might have happened to them? Amputated by some edgy low-ranking CCA char pretty much every time.

I did RP remorse with my 05, believe me. I understand human Psychology to a point. You're right he lost 2 very close friends of him by his own hands, I even stated ICly when we rped together that he Saw their faces in his nightmares. As for the emotionless characters you're right there is to many emotionless people with a boring base line. People need to use their creativity, we all have it, believe it or not. I already got two characters in mind that I am planning on implementing soon.
Oculatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri May 02, 2014 4:39 pm

I have that creativity sometimes, but I don't want it to be wasted before the char even gets off the ground. Having a great idea for a character, making the character, meeting some people, then some 05 just happens to walk by when I accidentally hit the SHIFT key and run for literally 4 inches.

"::> Amputate."

That's honestly why HL2RP has lost it's charm for me.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Oculatus on Fri May 02, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't remember ever using that VOCODE tbh. But he was trying to act professional even though inside he was an emotional wreck.
Oculatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri May 02, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm just making an example. If he was an emotional wreck, he didn't do a good job of showing it from what I've seen. But that's besides the topic, honestly. Real problem is I don't think it's worth making any new characters if they really won't get anywhere.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverdisc on Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 pm

I absolutely do not get why we are always making a fuss about people getting attached to their characters.

People should be attached to their characters. That's the essence of real, high quality roleplay: your character is not some disposable MMO character; it's a real, living person that you are in control of. At least, that's what it becomes if you do high quality roleplay.

Losing characters is heartbreaking. It's almost as if you "died", well, more like, as if your portal into this world has disappeared. Your perspective in this world, your views, your knowledge, your story, your friendships: they have come to an end, and they will not continue. It's completely normal people quit over this, and we shouldn't act like they are at fault for that.

When your main character dies, you are asked to start over. In the state TC had back then, most people didn't feel like they should invest the time in a server that they don't enjoy anymore, and that changes everything they like about it. It's not fun when you are constantly told that your roleplay should be different. This is why TC died. Those characters dying were not the reason for people leaving: they offered an opportunity to quit without losing much.

So yeah, when players don't enjoy a server anymore, PK's are the best way to speed up the server-dying process.

Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri May 02, 2014 7:01 pm

silverdisc wrote:most people didn't feel like they should invest the time in a server that they don't enjoy

Why dont they enjoy the server? They spent so much time making those characters. What changed?
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverdisc on Fri May 02, 2014 7:11 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:
silverdisc wrote:most people didn't feel like they should invest the time in a server that they don't enjoy

Why dont they enjoy the server? They spent so much time making those characters. What changed?
People were forced to drop the stories going on in the C45 slums, because they were forced back into plaza RP. The plaza RP didn't feature the depth that the previous slums RP had. Before this, several potentially interesting ideas were shot down.

Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri May 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Oh okay, that makes sense
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Fri May 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Well, we can't just not PK people, as otherwise there's nothing to risk, even less to fear, and it all becomes silliness. Maelstrom hasn't exactly benefitted from no one ever getting PKed ever TBH.

And the problem is, if we just set everything in the slums, all the CCA have to do is sweep, and the new players have nothing to do because everyone else is in the slums. That's fine with a core, dedicated group of players, but even if they stay dedicated, life will gradually put itself in the way and they'll slowly but surely drop off, and with no influx of new players, the server still ends up dead. As such, things need to be more balanced between the plaza and slums, rather than more one way or another.

And while characters should not be disposable husks, they shouldn't be clung to so tightly that when they're gone, you just CANNOT go on no matter what.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Open it up for everyone. Even CCA (only chase people in or something), citizens will use both as large areas to work out their operations and live their regular lives.

One area is simply more dangerous than the other because getting caught in there means a PK, but it plays by the same rules as the plaza. If the only challenge to D6 is getting in/out players can utalize both areas.

One thing I am curious of though, is in HL2, if there was a D6, did the people live there or did they go back and fourth, because of a lack of food, but also a lack of CPs? Maybe there was a fluctuation to it. The dangerous part was getting to and from D6, not being INSIDE D6.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Fri May 02, 2014 8:19 pm

There was no set "District 6" in HL2 so much as there were general deserviced zones. And, aside from the scanners, the zombies, the Xen creatures, and the radioactive waste, it was generally less exposed to Combine force than the populated districts.

And just leaving the slums wide open has never really produced anything positive. Even when we don't leave it wide open and random people go in, little of any value has come of it. Just general "i hate combine gimme gunz" lolwebulry.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri May 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Yeah but that is only if we actually play by those rules. The people who come in and say that are failrp'ers who are not there to RP.

The real RP'ers would enter when ready, and RP correctly. Those are the people we want to keep. If you want to get to the good ones you need to get passed the shitty ones first. You cant just skip them completely..

And honestly I don't think we know if anything comes of it. We haven't really done it. C8 doesn't count due to its completely different rule changes, map changes, and CCA/Citizen changes.But when was the last time we opened the door to D6 on C18, with no weapons inside. Just places for people to go without worrying about being watched by the police. But there is no place to stay, no food to eat, and no water to drink. Not to mention that its a very isolated place. So naturally you want to get back to plaza to get food, water, and a place to stay, and also see other people.

See most people are to afraid to go into D6. So when the gate is open, and there is a guard who patrols plaza by walking up and down the main road, its a dangerous thing to try and enter. You are scared to enter, because its hard to enter. But when you do, "OH JOY THIS IS FUN. New places to go, new things to see, possibly new people to meet, so much freedom! But wait... not that many people are here... its kind of lonely here. Its cold... there are no beds... no vending machines with water... no rations... I should go back to the plaza before I get into trouble here..."

That is how D6 should be. Not a main rebel camp right next to the CCA Nexus. The war between Citizens and CCA didn't get good until Gordon shows up, and that's a decade into enslavement. Don't get me wrong, Rebels should exist, but not with as much power as they had before. These are regular people with shitty pistols and no real body armor. You can find a CCA suit but that doesnt mean you are any better than before. Now you are an Anti-Citizen, and you can only live in D6. What a sad, lonely way to go. Smart Rebels can get into D6 and get out of D6 without getting caught. But why go into D6 in the first place? What is so special about it? The freedom? Because really the only thing different is that CCA don't really go there.

If we make D6 more of a "Offl limits area" and not a "Rebel base" maybe people wont go "I NEED IN THERE" so quickly. It will just be one of those entry ways that makes you curious, and the first time you try to enter a CCA stops you and warns you to back off. It will remain as a door way you want to enter, but know you shouldnt. When you do go through, it should be an empty and abandoned area, because not that many people go through there!

Sorry I could go on for days about D6
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atlas on Fri May 02, 2014 9:18 pm

This is so right^
Atlas
Operative Personnel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri May 02, 2014 11:34 pm

One thing I know for sure is that our RP is not HL2RP. The CCA, the Rebels, the Vorts, even the CWU workers are our own creations.

CCA Detained people for anything bad. They patrolled the streets in a nice fashion with only so many on patrol at a time, while others restocked, ate food, or trained. They then would alternate positions on their own time. An Idle Unit asks to go on patrol, and a Unit who is on patrol PLAYS ALONG SO THE OTHER PERSON CAN HAVE A TURN and agrees. Sometimes a Unit would just stand in the Cell area and harass the detained citizens, rough them up a bit during their 5 minute IRL time out session in jail. On duty CCA Units would speak with proper grammar. They only spoke when they needed to. They were tough, if you got close they shoved you back. IF a Citizen needed help, they would often push you aside and tell you to deal with it on your own. If you wanted t do work they made you do humiliating things for some points. They chased citizens into places they shouldn't be, and would beat them for it. They would search anyone just for looking at them funny. They would search the CAH because they heard a rumor of someone doing something bad.

Our CCA do not work together. They go on patrol when ever, and where ever. They say what ever they want, when ever hey want. They kill/detain people randomly without any real reasons (HL2 CCA have reasons, just not good ones). They let people off to easily, or are to nice to some Citizens. They act all high and mighty at the rank of 05. They don't use codes properly half the time, at least not all of them. And not a single damn one of those Units knows what is going to happen next, or what the plan is, or what their objective is. They are just dancing around doing all fucks what they want to do because they can. These CCA are not trained properly, and they do not take their jobs seriously.

--------

if someone does restart this whole thing, and does recreate a vanillia server with new characters and all that, PLEASE re-write a new handbook. And when you train your new RCTs, make sure they are very well known and fammiliar with it. Be strict! As a leader, amke sure they use codes! If they don't, punish them! Make sure they patrol on side walks! Make sure they detain citizens and give the correct amount of points! Make sure they beat citizens unfairly! Make sure they chase and shoot to kill!

Make sure they are CCA, and not just some kid behind the screen who is pumped with adrenalin because he got a special faction.

Sorry for the Rant, but the CCA Units have been bugging me for the past year now, because they are not CCA Units. They are just lolwebuls who gave up on trying to sneak into D6, so they applied for Civil Protection.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next