Oculatus (55)

Blukerbeh (43)

Top posting users this week

Half-Life 2 RP server

Radical HL2RP Rethinking

Go down

Radical HL2RP Rethinking

Post by Zaughi on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:06 am

Recently, I have watched The Event Horizon spiral down into a generic, run-of-the-mill HL2RP server that just has some lore behind it. When I first joined The Crew, I was afraid of my own shadow. The sounds of footsteps scared me, hearing units at a distance was scary, and whenever a unit was nearby I would actually try to hide from them. Why? Because I thought they'd drag me to the Nexus and torture me. Or kill me. Maybe even a mixture of both. Problem is, back then, they WOULD do that. Now, not so much. I've seen units acting outright friendly to citizens. That needs to change. I don't want robocops, though. Units should still passive with each other, but not while on patrol. Only in the Nexus on breaktime. Units need to be a lot more strict.

I also propose a new system - Protection Teams.

Multi-division squads of up to 5 units, however it can be as low as two. Members of the same team will always patrol together and operate as a cohesive unit. The unit naming system should be done to adapt to this. Instead of "I17-CCA-CORE-04-42821", instead it should be "C17:i4-STORM-2". C17 is indicative of the city, i4 is the rank, STORM is the protection team name, and 2 is the unit digit. Units only get 1 digit, as in HL2, instead of five.

The moment a unit reaches i5 they should be transferred to a PT. The 0 in 05 and the enlisted ranks should be changed to i, as in i5, to make it seem just a bit more canonical. I don't know. I think Protection Teams will encourage more cooperation and teamwork between units, bringing a bit more uniformity to the CCA and making them a much more effective force.

Next, PKs. I've been seeing NLR dished out a lot more than PKs lately. It's mainly because people complain so much, I know. However, NLR is meant to be given only in VERY special circumstances only, not the other way around. If someone dies, they're actually dead. OOCly I was afraid of losing my character. It was immersive and terrifying that way.

We also need more scanners flying around.

Ration distributions should be a bit more common. Yes, seriously.

Make things dark and depressing.

Raid the apartments, not the slums.

Drag citizens away and torture them for no reason. Make sure others see it.

Events need to actually happen, but INFREQUENTLY. Should make the plaza dwellers happy.

Make passiveRP when possible, not actionRP.

Start ditching the content packs besides HL2TS2, nobody needs all this content, it's uncanon anyway. Metropolice pack is a no-no in my opinion. Use the default CCA models whenever possible.

Focus on making things immersive, yet fun.

Make citizens do factory work.

Change the map to C45.

Fix the hands system. Seriously.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

View user profile http://www.theterminalgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Radical HL2RP Rethinking

Post by Super America on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 am

More organization isn't going to change anything.

Hl2rp is getting thinned out.

It's the big servers that survive, and small ones, like us, that die.

I think alot of us are just waiting on 1984 roleplay.

Super America

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:25 pm

1984 roleplay = good.

I'm not focused on pop here, I'm just trying to make things a bit more immersive.

HL2RP needs smaller map for smaller pop, tho.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by DarknessBalancesoul on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:23 pm

I agree with A LOT of what you listed, besides the metropolice pack. I found servers that didn't do it(which was rare enough) Was rather blan. The unit divisions seemed to have no diversity whatsoever, the DvLs weren't as threating at first look in my opinion because they all looked the same. The normal DvL model is okay, but lets say for ghost or the CmD. What scarier? A unit in normal cp clothing but red instead of blue, or a all black unit whose helmet almost resembles a skull and goes to the face much more rather than its normal oval shape and has glaring red eyes where the defaults have plain black. Also, the unit divisions. I think there should be more of them, but making mini squads makes shit kinda confusing in my opinion.
DarknessBalancesoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:53 pm

More divisions is useless. Why do we need more divisions? What kind of divisions do you propose? In fact, I've also considered that divisions should be done away with entirely and units should be allowed to use both medical and mechanical gear at will, however it should still depend on rank. Augmentations, too. I never saw any units in HL2 running around with robotic arms and having the strength to lift cars and stuff. Units were meant to be lightly-armored and agile, not act like they're the Hulk. If you lost your arm you'd probably be deserviced. Same goes to citizens. Physical imperfections = unfit for work.

I don't see how squads are confusing.

2-5 units in each squad.

Squads have their own names, such as MACE, or STORM.

Unit squads patrol together and assist eachother when they're online.

Nothing more to it.

Metropolice Pack, maybe SOME models are okay-, but they're heavily off-canon and a lot of them look terrible. It's less downloading for people, too. The Divisionals we have aren't really that threatening to begin with.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Slashraider on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 pm

As for the hand fixes I will fix them. Its just a new updated version of Clockwork that I need to install to the server.

Off topic here but, sorry for not fixing things quickly and not being around. This is the time for all my Crew races and I have been really busy with those.

Citizen(s) :
Shea Vegas - DEAD
Loyalist(s) :
Patrick Free - Slowly recovering from his insanity and he is starting to work at the CWU Goods Store and the Hospital again.
Enslaved Biotic(s) :
Combine(s) :
CCA-C18-GHOST-DvL.32789 - Bringing the GHOST division back to life.
Anti-citizen(s) :
Lucy "Hera" Dellgott - DEAD

Slashraider
Owner Of The HL2RP Server

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarknessBalancesoul on Sun May 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Zaughi wrote:More divisions is useless. Why do we need more divisions? What kind of divisions do you propose? In fact, I've also considered that divisions should be done away with entirely and units should be allowed to use both medical and mechanical gear at will, however it should still depend on rank. Augmentations, too. I never saw any units in HL2 running around with robotic arms and having the strength to lift cars and stuff. Units were meant to be lightly-armored and agile, not act like they're the Hulk. If you lost your arm you'd probably be deserviced. Same goes to citizens. Physical imperfections = unfit for work.

I don't see how squads are confusing.

2-5 units in each squad.

Squads have their own names, such as MACE, or STORM.

Unit squads patrol together and assist eachother when they're online.

Nothing more to it.

Metropolice Pack, maybe SOME models are okay-, but they're heavily off-canon and a lot of them look terrible. It's less downloading for people, too. The Divisionals we have aren't really that threatening to begin with.
I don't have a problem with the squads in essence. My problem however, with them is that there might be an overwhelming set of them like; SWORD, MACE, STORM, MIDNIGHT, REAPER, and the list goes on and on. That would have to require a healthy population but still, you see my point? I agree on the fact of a lot of divisions, but they're not useless. Makes some of the cps feel special that they are to be called on in that specific event, keeps moral up I guess. But we don't need more since none of the cps really follow their division's specialization either. We could keep the divisions, and make the squads for that division and the squad would be in physical desc. I.e.
CCA.CI17.NOVA-03.02349
" Nove-03; STORM PTC armband"
If that makes sense, I like the squads idea as long as it's not excessive but making it where its all based around it, in my opinion, just scraps a lot of other things(Such as the DvL which can get rid of a few events that involved a DvL.)
DarknessBalancesoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Sun May 04, 2014 3:30 pm

The Protection Teams thing is a more of a focus on HL2 canon rather than anything else. Same with getting rid of divisions. It's unlikely the Civil Protection had divisions in HL2, they probably just had some basic ranks and team leaders who relayed orders from the OverWatch Dispatcher.

Why do we need so many divisions? That means we'd need more DvLs, more units, and that means more PLAYERS. We don't have that. The Civil Protection units aren't meant to feel 'special', they need to do their jobs. It's not just a little faction you get to look cool and kill citizens for no reason, you have it to CREATE ROLEPLAY FOR OTHER PLAYERS. It's a job, as DIABLO stated. Without the Civil Protection, there is nothing to fear, no antagonist faction. But when there are effective Civil Protection units, people are afraid.
(Sorry if this sounds a bit rude, I'm not meaning it to be.)

There wouldn't need to be an overwhelming number of squads, just 4-5 of them at the most. Issue is, it's not easy to mix both divisions and Protection Teams, as the names will likely get mixed up, however, your idea of putting it in the desc could work.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter much now what with the inbound RP reset.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:49 pm

It does actually. Regardless of story reset, the way the CCA currently act is a mind set. Not a simple thing to fix. This will take an entire rethinking of how to use certain whitelists, and what they mean to one another.

EDIT: Which I am working on
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarknessBalancesoul on Sun May 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Zaughi wrote:The Protection Teams thing is a more of a focus on HL2 canon rather than anything else. Same with getting rid of divisions. It's unlikely the Civil Protection had divisions in HL2, they probably just had some basic ranks and team leaders who relayed orders from the OverWatch Dispatcher.

Why do we need so many divisions? That means we'd need more DvLs, more units, and that means more PLAYERS. We don't have that. The Civil Protection units aren't meant to feel 'special', they need to do their jobs. It's not just a little faction you get to look cool and kill citizens for no reason, you have it to CREATE ROLEPLAY FOR OTHER PLAYERS. It's a job, as DIABLO stated. Without the Civil Protection, there is nothing to fear, no antagonist faction. But when there are effective Civil Protection units, people are afraid.
(Sorry if this sounds a bit rude, I'm not meaning it to be.)

There wouldn't need to be an overwhelming number of squads, just 4-5 of them at the most. Issue is, it's not easy to mix both divisions and Protection Teams, as the names will likely get mixed up, however, your idea of putting it in the desc could work.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter much now what with the inbound RP reset.
I didn't take it as rude and you're absolutely right. People need to be afraid of the Civil protection and make roleplay, that was my perception since day 1 of hl2rp. I agree the cps have grown soft, but they don't need to go grab them by the throat and beat the shit of them without them doing literally anything, Cps beat with a reason(just not a good one, but none the less, with a reason, not just "Hello officer") So yeah, we don't need to go overboard and almost kill citizens for no reason because the CCA has grown soft because then we still have the same problem. With the whole roleplay happening thing, that can only really be fixed by a GOOD pop, not just pop in itself, but with a good amount of people joining that WANT to rp, not get blasted in the face or blast other people's faces everywhere.
DarknessBalancesoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Then you'll like what I am doing. Combine orders are to beat citizens regularly to install fear.

One rule of the UU for Superiors to follow is to give Black Marks to Units who do not follow orders. If you do not beat citizens often enough and report it (working on a new reporting system with Silver) your superiors can demote you, or remove your whitelist.

EDIT: Actually I am almost done with the CCA Faction when it comes to Training, Application, Ranks, Codes, Weapons, Privilages, and even Patrol standards. I plan to make the CCA a force to be reckoned with. I also plan to make the players with the CCA whitelist smart, and able to understand the rules, as well as follow them. I do not plan on messing around with this. If you are messing around I want to black mark you. I will black mark you. After so long, we will only have Rule Followers as CCA Units.

EDIT: for one day only this paste bin will show you my progress on the editing of the CCA Faction

My CCA Handbook

My CCA Training Script

My CCA IC Application
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarknessBalancesoul on Sun May 04, 2014 6:21 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:Then you'll like what I am doing. Combine orders are to beat citizens regularly to install fear.

One rule of the UU for Superiors to follow is to give Black Marks to Units who do not follow orders. If you do not beat citizens often enough and report it (working on a new reporting system with Silver) your superiors can demote you, or remove your whitelist.

EDIT: Actually I am almost done with the CCA Faction when it comes to Training, Application, Ranks, Codes, Weapons, Privilages, and even Patrol standards. I plan to make the CCA a force to be reckoned with. I also plan to make the players with the CCA whitelist smart, and able to understand the rules, as well as follow them. I do not plan on messing around with this. If you are messing around I want to black mark you. I will black mark you. After so long, we will only have Rule Followers as CCA Units.

EDIT: for one day only this paste bin will show you my progress on the editing of the CCA Faction

My CCA Handbook

My CCA Training Script

My CCA IC Application
Nice so far. You were right. I like what you're doing so far.
DarknessBalancesoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oculatus on Sun May 04, 2014 6:55 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:Then you'll like what I am doing. Combine orders are to beat citizens regularly to install fear.

My CCA Handbook

My CCA Training Script

My CCA IC Application

I like it, can't wait the server is up again.
Oculatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm

The one problem in the way of factions is, well...population. Yes, it's been said, but I feel like it should be arranged based on who's online rather than the poor bastard CCA getting stuck in the group of players never joining.

One idea I do want to propose is making CCA ranks act as they should. An example being not having an 05 carry out amputations and go on D6 sweeps as they're supposed to not only be a bad shot, malnourished or not have the best arsenal, but more specifically be friendly to citizens (It's like a one way door as far as fear goes, but everything else is absolutely fine), fear killing citizens, and still be afraid of higher ranks. I don't have quite a problem with that on the server because you guessed it, population, but once we get more people that has to take effect.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Well, we'll need to regain a population. There will be a map switch event in the near future that I am developing. More on this will be posted soon, but hopefully a double whammy of an event and a map switch will help things.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
Overwatch Transhuman Arm:
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Nick Bradford-Unknown-Last seen in City 18
Enslaved Biotic:
Tuk'Zal-Unknown-Last seen in City 18

Founder of The Event Horizon
General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content