31% 31% 
[ 5 ]
69% 69% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 16

Re: Proposed Restrictions of OOC Chat

Post by Colonel HollerHavoc on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:
EDIT: Im not up for removal of OOC chat. We need to be ourselves at some point to stay sane. But, if you are OOC more than IC, do you think you could switch that around easily without getting bored?

It was never a matter of removing it, we respect our users in wanting to goof around, need I remind all of you, there is still full LOOC, with the same rules on them as well, still every other chat you would ever need, only OOC is planned to be bumped up to 200 seconds, that's it.

HL2 Characters
CCA-C18-HELIX-DvL.64007: Alive, Observing over his divisions units/Enhancing his OCULUS AUG.

Jenny Lanes: Alive, Finding her ground, Hope far from leaving her.

Doug Suddler: Alive, Surviving his way and his way only.

Hak'Navel: Alive, Freed Using his power to help The Great Rose and the rest of the Lambda and is thankful for his saviors.

Daniel Fernandez: Alive, Level 5 CWU, Doing whatever he possibly can to benefit the CCA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel HollerHavoc
Dog of War

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/hollerhavoc

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:27 pm

With the amount of OOC chat that happens, you can't replace it with LOOC. They are two different things. Both on the same idea, but used in two completely different ways. Passive RP. Low population. Those types of things would need OOC chat, unless you want people to gather only because they want to LOOC chat with each other.

And believe me. I know what Bravo is saying. I was doing what he is currently doing for over a year. What he is saying, I understand completely. All I am saying is if we do go through with this, population MIGHT drop. If it does, the OOC players will be the first to go.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:36 pm

People who are excessively OOC are the problem in the first place. People need to realize we aren't running a darkRP OOCfest here. The whole point is to be IC the vast majority of the time. The fact that people have gotten so used to being excessively OOC that the mere mention of some action intended to curtail this causes them to tweak out is not something I feel reflects well on the state of this community.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
Overwatch Transhuman Arm:
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Nick Bradford-Unknown-Last seen in City 18
Enslaved Biotic:
Tuk'Zal-Unknown-Last seen in City 18

Founder of The Event Horizon
General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:02 pm

In a way, I agree with Bravo. If we are already more focused on OOC than actual IC RP, it may be to late. We may never achieve the RP we dream about if we do not cut down on OOC chat asap. Other wise, well, I can see this place being consumed by OOC players who claim that they love RP and developing a really good story WITHOUT other players, but really only love the players who they play with.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:07 pm

I have to give this an immense -support because possibly one of the only bad things about this server is the OOC wait time, and how it's an absurd amout of time. Now although there are going to be those people who make really dumb comments, I personally don't see the problem on the server, at least when I play. However, don't think that I'm saying that there shouldn't be a globally lower time, because I know what that causes. I've come from a server where if the server has even a slight amount of lag, there's always gonna be 3-4 people CONSTANTLY pointing it out. Funny thing is, the server's also prone to propspam to make the Advanced Duplicator work. (It's Build RP) When that happens, all hell breaks loose as people are literally just spamming the word "lag" in chat. When trying to talk to people in chat during all of this, even if it's barely laggy at all, it becomes a complete mess.

I'm not implying that would happen to the server if we lowered the chat limit, but I will make it clear: The server I'm talking about is Dark RP, specifically Build RP. (To those who don't know, Build RP actually has a reputation of being even more heavily griefed/annoying, can you believe it?) Since I'm pretty new as to what's what in Serious RP, I will find it painstakingly irritating to wait through 200 seconds just to ask if something is illegal or not, and that's assuming people even to bother to give me some degree of a reply.

However, I can give my thoughts for improvements that just may make both parties happy. One idea I had is OOC chat time should get progressively easier as you play longer. Here's how it works:

1. When you first join, you're restricted to the limit proposed (200 seconds)
  2. After playing for at least 1 hour, the chat time lowers to the current limit (No idea what it actually is)
  3. After being active on the forums, the chat time lowers to 1/4 of the time
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Just use /calladmin to ask those questions. Staff know, regulars may not.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:27 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:In a way, I agree with Bravo. If we are already more focused on OOC than actual IC RP, it may be to late. We may never achieve the RP we dream about if we do not cut down on OOC chat asap. Other wise, well, I can see this place being consumed by OOC players who claim that they love RP and developing a really good story WITHOUT other players, but really only love the players who they play with.

General Bravo wrote:People who are excessively OOC are the problem in the first place. People need to realize we aren't running a darkRP OOCfest here. The whole point is to be IC the vast majority of the time. The fact that people have gotten so used to being excessively OOC that the mere mention of some action intended to curtail this causes them to tweak out is not something I feel reflects well on the state of this community.

It's hard to be IC when players decide to isolate themselves or single you off because you're a standard citizen. I mean seriously, think about this in the perspective of a new char wanting to RP. Well, the CCA are usually in the nexus or sitting around outside patrolling or standing in one spot. Trying to communicate to one of them will probably get you beaten, so your other options are the higher level UU and the Rebels, who won't want a single thing to do with you, or are too busy going into areas citizens don't have access to. At the end of the day, you're left with maybe 1-2 other citizens who really just don't want to be bothered.

At that point, are you really gonna blame a guy for talking in OOC? The poor bastard just wants to RP with someone.

Last edited by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:28 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:Just use /calladmin to ask those questions. Staff know, regulars may not.
And when staff aren't online? Seriously, even if an admin's online, they might not even be bothered to answer.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Im sorry but i said "Low population" needs OOC. And if no admins are on, pop must be low, and you can still ask your question. You just cant respond. You would get an answer, and that is that
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:35 pm

DIABLO258 wrote: Im sorry but i said "Low population" needs OOC. And if no admins are on, pop must be low, and you can still ask your question. You just cant respond. You would get an answer, and that is that
See, the problem here is that whenever I ask a question, people won't answer. There are a lot of times where when I ask something, sometimes with admins on, it won't get answered. I'll wait and repeat the question, and no avail.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Pm someone. Anyone. If they play here they can probably provide some help, such as contacting someone like Staff for you
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:43 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:Pm someone. Anyone. If they play here they can probably provide some help, such as contacting someone like Staff for you
Trust me, I've tried EVERYTHING at my disposal to get one person's attention. If they end up actually answering, they'll say something that barely answers my question, like "Take a guess." Hell, some people will either just not respond or just say to stop asking them.

Also, from here on can you PM me about this? I don't want a complaint about arguments.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel HollerHavoc on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Chris10023 wrote:-Support

This feels like more restricting to non staff members like others have said it is more of a hinderence overall than a benefit.

General Bravo wrote:The whole point of my policy is to restrict the usage of OOC across the board. That would include staff saying stupid nonsense that has nothing to do with anything.
This is...troubling to read. What you are doing is taking something that is at it's very core, a game, and trying to make it a job.

It's more or less at this point a game being constantly derailed by excessive amounts of unnecessary OOC spam every 2-3 minutes. I honestly have no idea where it being a job comes into play, we get on to have fun roleplaying seriously together, how can you be serious if you are constantly deterred by OOC chatting every time you want to get serious? Help is a different concern, It's been stated many times, the alternatives to requesting help (/pm, [[, /calladmin, steam chat), every 200 seconds you guys can chat, and actually type full sentences to people, have a bit of a laugh about it and continue rping, and by the time you are all immersed in game, you won't care for the use of OOC as much.

I ask anybody who has -supported this: What do you come on the serious HL2 Roleplaying server to do? Talk with your buddies in OOC all the time (which with that logic would almost render it semi-serious)? Or get some nice fun and interesting IC roleplay and stories happening with your buddies cracking a few OOC moments every once in a while?

HL2 Characters
CCA-C18-HELIX-DvL.64007: Alive, Observing over his divisions units/Enhancing his OCULUS AUG.

Jenny Lanes: Alive, Finding her ground, Hope far from leaving her.

Doug Suddler: Alive, Surviving his way and his way only.

Hak'Navel: Alive, Freed Using his power to help The Great Rose and the rest of the Lambda and is thankful for his saviors.

Daniel Fernandez: Alive, Level 5 CWU, Doing whatever he possibly can to benefit the CCA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel HollerHavoc
Dog of War

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/hollerhavoc

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Colonel HollerHavoc wrote:I ask anybody who has -supported this: What do you come on the serious HL2 Roleplaying server to do? Talk with your buddies in OOC all the time (which with that logic would almost render it semi-serious)?

If this is the case, I can assume that this change will cause that person to leave the community, or become more in depth with your Role Play. Either one is for the better of TEH.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Colonel HollerHavoc wrote:I ask anybody who has -supported this: What do you come on the serious HL2 Roleplaying server to do? Talk with your buddies in OOC all the time (which with that logic would almost render it semi-serious)? Or get some nice fun and interesting IC roleplay and stories happening with your buddies cracking a few OOC moments every once in a while?
I come on in attempt to do RP, but gets shot down due to everyone (Excluding CCA, they have a reason to not be social) simply cutting me off and not even giving this crap a chance, so I go on OOC. It really pisses me off, because why do you insist on running off? Everyone here is complaining about a lack of IC dialogue, but I think the problem is the chars that are rebels/high level loyalists are literally just excluding citizens.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Its possible. How ever, I would need to see these people cutting you off. Pictures of sorts, or just explain it in detail. You can't be "cut off" when typing. Someone just beats you to it, that's all. It happens a lot in RP. People generally look at their keyboard when typing, so they can't see the "Talking" sign over your head until they hit enter.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:03 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:Its possible. How ever, I would need to see these people cutting you off. Pictures of sorts, or just explain it in detail. You can't be "cut off" when typing. Someone just beats you to it, that's all. It happens a lot in RP. People generally look at their keyboard when typing, so they can't see the "Talking" sign over your head until they hit enter.
Looking back at it, I really left it at a bland statement, let me reword this:

When I try to make some degree of interaction with a Loyalist, Rebel or anyone else higher than just the average citizen, they see me coming and CONSTANTLY shut doors and simply get out of my sight. Even if I start talking or preform an action, they'll run off on me for no reason at all. I'll PM or ask in OOC why they did that, but to no avail. The closest I've gotten to RP with a person was a person that I'm not even sure WAS an anticitizen char, and all we basically did was exchange names and get rations from a CCA that decided to leave the RDT open. (The CCA at the time were literally just fucking around and not doing anything to help)
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:10 pm

You should take pictures next time, because that is absolutely unacceptable behavior from this community. Any character who is IC should not be avoided for OOC reasons
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slashraider on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 pm

I come on the TEH server (I guess TC's because it is more relevant when I wasn't the owner) for not only the RP but because I love the community. I could go to any other RP server and RP there, but I chose TC because I loved the community. I enjoyed communicated with other players and feeling apart of the community. I did this with minor OOC chat. And don't say "Oh you can do this on the forums." because you honestly cannot as much. Some players do not use the forums and it can take awhile for responses. But I enjoyed the minor OOC of just "messing around"

Now, here is an example I am trying to relate to. In America there are mass shootings, or just murders with guns. This is like our OOC problem. America can just have a mass ban on all guns but then people could get unhappy because something that only a few people abused was taken away from everyone. They do not do this, however. They have a police force (Our staff) which have laws and punishments for people who abuse.

I used this to show we shouldn't just remove it all. If someone is really abusing the chat then we can give them warnings and/or a kick.

Citizen(s) :
Shea Vegas - DEAD
Loyalist(s) :
Patrick Free - Slowly recovering from his insanity and he is starting to work at the CWU Goods Store and the Hospital again.
Enslaved Biotic(s) :
Combine(s) :
CCA-C18-GHOST-DvL.32789 - Bringing the GHOST division back to life.
Anti-citizen(s) :
Lucy "Hera" Dellgott - DEAD

Slashraider
Owner Of The HL2RP Server

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 pm

The staff here participates in OOC chat just as much as regulars. The only time I have ever seen anyone ban or force someone to stop using OOC chat is when they became aggressive or spammed.

Currently, the spam we are talking about is EVERYONE communicating at once. Sometimes half the server would communicate (On TC) and would just stand around doing nothing in large groups of people.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:31 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:The staff here participates in OOC chat just as much as regulars. The only time I have ever seen anyone ban or force someone to stop using OOC chat is when they became aggressive or spammed.

Currently, the spam we are talking about is EVERYONE communicating at once. Sometimes half the server would communicate (On TC) and would just stand around doing nothing in large groups of people.

This. I remember so many occasions where people were just blathering away in OOC(and numerous times in LOOC as well)and not actually doing any RP. Are we trying to be HL2RP or OOCRP? Sometimes I'm not sure anymore.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
Overwatch Transhuman Arm:
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Nick Bradford-Unknown-Last seen in City 18
Enslaved Biotic:
Tuk'Zal-Unknown-Last seen in City 18

Founder of The Event Horizon
General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content