Oculatus (55)

Blukerbeh (43)

Top posting users this week

Half-Life 2 RP server

Mapping Suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mapping Suggestions

Post by Zaughi on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am

Okay, City 17 is still... a ways off. It will be a long while until completion and may not even be what we're looking for in an RP map, however I am taking measures to ensure that it suits the needs of The Event Horizon.

Contrary-wise, I haven't gotten many suggestions as to what we would need besides "add in a bunch of secret areas pls". What do you guys feel that the server needs in terms of level layout, visual appearance, expansiveness, diversity of locations in the map, Nexus additions, etc.

What do you guys want to see in an RP map?
Zaughi
Honored Individual

View user profile http://www.theterminalgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mapping Suggestions

Post by General Bravo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 am

It obviously needs a secret area that says General Bravo was here and plays the Imperial March.

It needs to be primarily plaza, with a decent amount of housing. Having at least some shops near the housing to keep people from being too spread out would be helpful.

The restricted zones should allow rebels not to hide, but evade.

The nexus needs clear areas for detainment, command centers, administration, and training.

Visually, make it seem more like the C17 everyone knows and loves. Make the Nexus....um...nexusy.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
Overwatch Transhuman Arm:
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Nick Bradford-Unknown-Last seen in City 18
Enslaved Biotic:
Tuk'Zal-Unknown-Last seen in City 18

Founder of The Event Horizon
General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:57 pm

"needs to be primarily plaza"

>Center of map is plaza
>Only one other small CWU district besides the Nexus entrance grounds

"not to hide, but evade"
Whoops.

>Compact canals and sewers with hidden outlets everywhere

"Make the Nexus....um...nexusy"

>Totally didn't copy the Nexus straight from the game files and clean it up
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Bravo is pretty much right.

And is it just me or does it seem like C17 has been 'almost released' a few times now. I hear its "Almost, but not quite there yet' all the time. As in, for the last year or so
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Oh, certainly not.

It's never been anywhere near completion because I keep changing things and adding onto it just when I think it's somewhat ready for beta testing. So I guess you could say it's still in pre-alpha.

Also, I've been doing a lot of other maps too. Working on the same one gets boring after a while.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Well, the reason I say that the slums need to be geared towards evasion is that evasion is an active tactic while hiding is a heavily passive one. All too often rebels kick back in underground rooms tipping back a few cold ones while half the UU Earth garrison tramples around just outside.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DIABLO258 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 pm

It's even worse when the Rebels then claim "CCA can't find us, we are hidden" and just camp until they are forced to RP going "Well I guess we can't fin them, lets go."
And if they do find them, its Meta.
DIABLO258
Technical Officer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Precisely. That's what I want to cut down on. Rebels should be thinking on their feet a lot more than they are.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel HollerHavoc on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:58 am

I say rebels would on realistic grounds establish some form of safe haven, though that being said, those safe havens are not invincibility havens and would be found eventually through means of chaos. Rebels being needed to constantly be on the move at all times would get way to repetitive and hectic, Rebels should have some form of safety, with that said they definitely shouldn't be waiting around and such, eventually the combine would trace them back to a set area where they often keep running, each time, pinpoint a more discrete area until they find the generalized area of them hiding each time and it would only be a matter of time before they search that area completely to flesh them out and find their hideout of safe haven. Rebels are at high enough risk as it is, toss that up with extreme meta hungry people, and them being forced to constantly be on the move every second, (which they practically are anyway when out of haven) and you get a bunch of lame RP that ends in some form of argument for valid reasoning.

Rebels are rebels, they would need to be in hiding constantly, laying low, attacking in spurts and operating in larger numbers, spreading word and such. It's often annoying when I see people claiming that they "camp" when they are usually just doing some form of development in the safe haven scared for their lives, weapons at the ready and such, high alert. It's not hard to trap rebels, but if you completely remove their routes and ways of safety which would realistically be there as seen in the HL2 game, it completely destroys the true rebel rp whether you know how it is or not. There would be little development with them constantly running every second of the day, and being a map with unrealistic confinement (Icly it would go way farther than it's limits irl) there sort of needs to be some sort of place that provides at least some safety. As of late, rebel rp has been slow due to the fact that RP itself has been slow all together. Let's not start drawing out stereo-types too quickly now.

HL2 Characters
CCA-C18-HELIX-DvL.64007: Alive, Observing over his divisions units/Enhancing his OCULUS AUG.

Jenny Lanes: Alive, Finding her ground, Hope far from leaving her.

Doug Suddler: Alive, Surviving his way and his way only.

Hak'Navel: Alive, Freed Using his power to help The Great Rose and the rest of the Lambda and is thankful for his saviors.

Daniel Fernandez: Alive, Level 5 CWU, Doing whatever he possibly can to benefit the CCA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel HollerHavoc
Dog of War

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/hollerhavoc

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Also if this could be done before Half Life 3 comes out, that'd be great. No pressure.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oculatus on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:27 pm

DIABLO258 wrote:It's even worse when the Rebels then claim "CCA can't find us, we are hidden" and just camp until they are forced to RP going "Well I guess we can't fin them, lets go."
And if they do find them, its Meta.
You speak the truth Diablo.
Oculatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:43 am

I have a few ideas for the map: (Some of the NPC focused ideas might require an NPC faction plugin (Can't post links, but I did find it on the Cloud Sixteen wiki under "Plugins" in the section called "HL2RP"))

• Exogen Breech Button: An admin-only accessible button where once pressed, Antlions begin to unburrow in the slums, other antlions start hopping walls to get into the city and kill everything they see. If this button is pressed, another button becomes active where when pressed, an Antlion Guard appears in the city with a rather "showy" entrance. Some ideas I had were having the Guard break open a hole in a wall, where other Antlions leak out of. (We'd need a player collide brush over that) Some other ideas were just having the Guard unburrow in an important area, like the plaza. (Perhaps other ideas that allow multiple guards to appear on site)
  • Judgement/Autonomous Waiver: Although there is already a way to broadcast either Waivers, I feel like some of the city's defensive mechanisms should activate. (Ceiling Turrets in the Nexus? Shields blocking off places people shouldn't be?)
  • Floor Turret Room: A room full of floor turrets stored in cases. Said turrets have to be unlocked in either extreme emergency, during an Autonomous Waiver, or in an area that needs to be "quarantined". Turret rules will have to come into play, such as a rule involving turrets in the slums, and especially in a firefight. A CCA could simply hold up a turret facing the Rebel's general direction and win every time.

I am also a mapper, so if you need help with something, (even displacements...*shivers*) I can lend a hand.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suiko on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:05 am

The Exogen breach button might be a good idea because it would allow admins to better RP events by having realistic entrances instead of just appearing (spawning) in your face, and it also takes less time.
Suiko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 am

On your ideas here, Profit:

The exogen breach button would be INCREDIBLY costly to the map, especially considering that it's a combination of city, canals, and the Outlands. It's already hard enough to optimize it while copy/pasting bits of maps from HL2. Also, leaks. So many leaks.

Judgement/Autonomous Waivers

I have those in the map, and they work rather interestingly. I'm going to move them to Breen's office when the Citadel part of the map is done. I'm trying to make the map as dynamic as possible to influence good RP situations depending on player actions, however, there are a ton of cosmetic changes too. Upon activating the Judgement Waiver, the lights outside the buildings turn a shade of red, alarms begin to sound, also-red spotlights turn on, Checkpoint shields become locked, etc.

As for the turret room, maybe one or two turrets wouldn't be TOO expensive to the engine.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Profit (tha_man234) on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Zaughi wrote:On your ideas here, Profit:

The exogen breach button would be INCREDIBLY costly to the map, especially considering that it's a combination of city, canals, and the Outlands. It's already hard enough to optimize it while copy/pasting bits of maps from HL2. Also, leaks. So many leaks.

Judgement/Autonomous Waivers

I have those in the map, and they work rather interestingly. I'm going to move them to Breen's office when the Citadel part of the map is done. I'm trying to make the map as dynamic as possible to influence good RP situations depending on player actions, however, there are a ton of cosmetic changes too. Upon activating the Judgement Waiver, the lights outside the buildings turn a shade of red, alarms begin to sound, also-red spotlights turn on, Checkpoint shields become locked, etc.

As for the turret room, maybe one or two turrets wouldn't be TOO expensive to the engine.
Good to hear. You probably know this, but I HIGHLY recommend adding areaportals/look hints to your map while you still can, it can get annoying down the road.
Profit (tha_man234)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 am

Ah, areaportals. The savior of large, open maps with interior space.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top