Oculatus (55)

Blukerbeh (43)

Top posting users this week

Half-Life 2 RP server

Population Incentives

Go down

Population Incentives

Post by Zaughi on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:08 pm

It seems that the levels of population have been rather low this week and somewhat last week. This is concerning to me. So, to combat this rising (or lowering, for that matter) problem, I think that players should be rewarded for coming on and keeping the pop up. The more people that are on, the more interesting we make things. I can personally lend the concept from TTG, which goes like this:

2-4 players on: Things are constrained so these 2-4 people will need to RP with eachother. ActionRP is kept to a minimum unless it is needed to draw these 2-4 characters together. PassiveRP with eachother should be encouraged.

5-8 players on: The RP begins to ramp up, actionRP becomes a slightly more common and unit-to-citizen RP should be taking place. A build-up event starts here, increasing in magnitude as the population rises. It is up to the admins to decide what event will best suit the server at the time.

9-16 players on: The event begins to play out with the increased number of players online. ActionRP is commonplace now, as refugees and CCA will likely come to blows. These players might become interested with high population and a fun event to go along with it and come on the next day.

17-25 players on: The event reaches a climax of maximum sweg, depending on the event the outcome should be influenced by the playerbase, be it positive or negative. People see stuff like this and it sparks their interest. They come on the next day, and we repeat the process with a different event. Sometimes we may mix up old events. These people keep joining, and suddenly boom we have regulars. Also I'll post a picture of myself on the forums if we hit 25/25.

Just something I thought of off the top of my head. Suggestions and comments welcome.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

View user profile http://www.theterminalgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Population Incentives

Post by Blukerbeh on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Zaughi wrote:Also I'll post a picture of myself on the forums if we hit 25/25.
Well now we have to.
Blukerbeh

View user profile http://tauwowdah.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:48 pm

We've hit 25/25 a couple times in the past, so technically....I really don't care what you look like but if it'll somehow get me a full server, go for it.

Though if this does end up working consistently it may need tweaking so that passive does happen from time to time at 25 and it isn't just Half Life 1.5 every time we have a full server.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
Overwatch Transhuman Arm:
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Nick Bradford-Unknown-Last seen in City 18
Enslaved Biotic:
Tuk'Zal-Unknown-Last seen in City 18

Founder of The Event Horizon
General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel HollerHavoc on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Zaughi wrote:It seems that the levels of population have been rather low this week and somewhat last week. This is concerning to me. So, to combat this rising (or lowering, for that matter) problem, I think that players should be rewarded for coming on and keeping the pop up. The more people that are on, the more interesting we make things. I can personally lend the concept from TTG, which goes like this:

2-4 players on: Things are constrained so these 2-4 people will need to RP with eachother. ActionRP is kept to a minimum unless it is needed to draw these 2-4 characters together. PassiveRP with eachother should be encouraged.

5-8 players on: The RP begins to ramp up, actionRP becomes a slightly more common and unit-to-citizen RP should be taking place. A build-up event starts here, increasing in magnitude as the population rises. It is up to the admins to decide what event will best suit the server at the time.

9-16 players on: The event begins to play out with the increased number of players online. ActionRP is commonplace now, as refugees and CCA will likely come to blows. These players might become interested with high population and a fun event to go along with it and come on the next day.

17-25 players on: The event reaches a climax of maximum sweg, depending on the event the outcome should be influenced by the playerbase, be it positive or negative. People see stuff like this and it sparks their interest. They come on the next day, and we repeat the process with a different event. Sometimes we may mix up old events. These people keep joining, and suddenly boom we have regulars. Also I'll post a picture of myself on the forums if we hit 25/25.

Just something I thought of off the top of my head. Suggestions and comments welcome.
This is pretty much what happens anyways, Though a lot of times I see people taking advantage of population restrictions to heighten their action rp which is complete bs as there would be many units around ICly. (mid plaza CCA mugging) The main thing that should be addressed is extreme fail rp. I'm talking units meeting with refugees right at the gates and not doing anything even afterwards from what it would seem. Nobody has the much needed fear they should have. 

The lambda is not what it is in HL2's time with Gordon. This is 7-8 years prior and they are not the strongest group out there. Even they would be afraid. Nobody seems to get into their characters shoes and see the world partially how they would irl if they were in it. The Combine took over the world in 7 HOURS... And then we see the citizens who are fighting CCA like it's nothing, or resisting like it's nothing or simply huge OP badasses that are experts at everything they do. 

Realism is the key to excellent rp. If everybody is badass, nobody is. Believe me, taking things slow and really building your character from the ground up is far more amazing and beautiful than just simply running to the slums as fast as possible and trying to get to the resistance or waiting around inthe plaza wondering around not doing anything at all to do with RP. Might as well just go play the walk around and wait for shit to happen game. 

This is your characters story, you don't have to plan out every single thing OOC because I can guarentee if you do, it will not work out how you planned because everybody things differently and everybody can effect your RP in one way or another. So instead of trying to make the most powerful character ever that has a million weapons and is in the slums and has no fear, try to make the most deep emotional driven and complex character you can by nice slowwww paced RP. You may not realize it, but even in a place that seems like there is nothing, there is always a million things that could go wrong. 

It's the Chaos Theory, nothing is ever certain, you can all have unique characters, but don't develop your char by yourself selfishly away from everybody. Being social is apart of life and in order to spice up any rp situation, passive social conversations and bonds help build amazingly complex characters, "cool" or not. Do not try sooo damn hard to make the most badass guy in the land who is decked out in supplies and weapons. Take your time and meld your character into something complex, the badassery should be how others take the char, not how you take your own char.

"The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." Bruce Lee

Last edited by Colonel HollerHavoc on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

HL2 Characters
CCA-C18-HELIX-DvL.64007: Alive, Observing over his divisions units/Enhancing his OCULUS AUG.

Jenny Lanes: Alive, Finding her ground, Hope far from leaving her.

Doug Suddler: Alive, Surviving his way and his way only.

Hak'Navel: Alive, Freed Using his power to help The Great Rose and the rest of the Lambda and is thankful for his saviors.

Daniel Fernandez: Alive, Level 5 CWU, Doing whatever he possibly can to benefit the CCA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel HollerHavoc
Dog of War

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/hollerhavoc

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 pm

That and there's actually cameras at the Nexus and the road intersections.

Civil Protection:
CCA-C18-CmD.08292-Alive-Searching for APEX, hunting down the last surviving City 18 resistance members, and wiping out everyone who gets in his way
OTA-ECHO-SQL.27766-Alive-Preserving Nexus internal stabilization, assaulting anti-citizen hideouts
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slashraider on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:07 pm

I'm currently grounded (;() so I cannot get on my computer or anything. But once I do I'll advertise the server in multiple places to try to bringin population.

Another thing is staff (you know who you are) some are inactive and some never help with calls or Rp schooling and that let's fail RPers and minges run around and make players have to deal with these guys And it makes them want to leave.

On another note, Dark possum. He should be demoted to Operator. I've told him many many many times to be more active and yet he still says "ill be on in 5, I'll be on tomorrow" but he never does.

(Sorry for mistakes it's hard to type on this I touch)

Citizen(s) :
Shea Vegas - DEAD
Loyalist(s) :
Patrick Free - Slowly recovering from his insanity and he is starting to work at the CWU Goods Store and the Hospital again.
Enslaved Biotic(s) :
Combine(s) :
CCA-C18-GHOST-DvL.32789 - Bringing the GHOST division back to life.
Anti-citizen(s) :
Lucy "Hera" Dellgott - DEAD

Slashraider
Owner Of The HL2RP Server

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverdisc on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 pm

The fix for population issues is not to demote inactive staff. There's a reason they're not playing. Demoting people will only make sure that, willing, nice people (who became staff) feel unappreciated, get pissed off and will have even less incentive to play.

Nobody will start playing again because DarkPossum got demoted. The thing TEH needs to do is analyze the issues it's having and figure out how to fix this (I've predicted this before the server was up). Kicking people who are willing to help out won't help anyone.

Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slashraider on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Oh no that wAsnt for getting population up, I was just saying that as. A thing that needs to be done.

Citizen(s) :
Shea Vegas - DEAD
Loyalist(s) :
Patrick Free - Slowly recovering from his insanity and he is starting to work at the CWU Goods Store and the Hospital again.
Enslaved Biotic(s) :
Combine(s) :
Anti-citizen(s) :

Slashraider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Someone who doesn't show up pretty much ever is not someone who would appear to be "willing to help", I'd say.

That being said, let's save the staff furloughs until after we handle the population issue.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Cergis on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:00 pm

General Cergis
Honored Individual

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slashraider on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:16 pm

The population problem isn't anything that we can do majorly. The problem is with our players, our community. We need dedicated players who want to RP. If they think RP is boring its not because of the server, it is because they are bad RP'ers. They need to develop their characters. I had someone who told me there were bored with RP and the map. I asked him why, this is what he told to me. "I've explored the entire map I know all its knooks and crannies, this is boring."

It shouldn't be about finding out all the secrets. The whole excitement part is about knowing there are secrets but waiting to find out about them through RP.

We shouldn't reward people just for being on the server, they should be rewarded for RPing.

Citizen(s) :
Shea Vegas - DEAD
Loyalist(s) :
Enslaved Biotic(s) :
Combine(s) :
Anti-citizen(s) :

Slashraider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel HollerHavoc on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 pm

I find that once you are fully into the game and actually rping and trying your best and putting fourth an excellent effort, you become fully immersed in the environment as if you are actually the character.

HL2 Characters
CCA-C18-HELIX-DvL.64007: Alive, Observing over his divisions units/Enhancing his OCULUS AUG.

Jenny Lanes: Alive, Finding her ground, Hope far from leaving her.

Doug Suddler: Alive, Surviving his way and his way only.

Hak'Navel: Alive, Freed Using his power to help The Great Rose and the rest of the Lambda and is thankful for his saviors.

Daniel Fernandez: Alive, Level 5 CWU, Doing whatever he possibly can to benefit the CCA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colonel HollerHavoc
Dog of War

View user profile https://soundcloud.com/hollerhavoc

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:22 am

And that's the problem, few people seem to be doing that anymore. When people aren't waiting for RP to be made for them, they're busy trying to be an hero who doesn't afraid of anything. It gets old. Short of being Overwatch or like, EpU+, you shouldn't be going around thinking you're hot shit. Even higher up Combine forces won't be an heroing around.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I think that characters that actually have weaknesses and emotions are actually the more-badass ones.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Unfortunately most seem to think the Call of Duty style of character development is a good way to go, especially most of the slums population.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

I am guilty of this myself - I will be taking measures to return to the character's original development path.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by General Bravo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Yeah, Garry had such a massive shift since getting into the restricted block. And while the King incident may have given him a temporary feeling of cockiness, the reaction should've made that go away.

Civil Protection:
Resistance:
Enslaved Biotic:

General Bravo
Supreme Commander of TEH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaughi on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Right. He needs to get that anti-social, paranoid vibe back. ICly he wasn't and isn't meant to be a badass-type in any way.
Zaughi
Honored Individual

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down